Sunday, July 24, 2011

scary things

Janny is sitting on my lap, Clara is napping, and Jill is at a baby shower. For the second time this weekend, I'm the sole tall person in the home. Yesterday, Jill took a personal day to run some errands and enjoy some relaxation. I partly understand why she needed it.

As per usual around here, things moved along smoothly. Until Clara helped me fix a flat tire on my collecting-dust-race bike. I got it pumped up to 90 psi, and she started to roll the wheel around the family room (of course I'm allowed to do bike repair in the house). BANG!!!!! I didn't make absolutely certain that the tire seated on the rim, and it blew. Clara sreamed, cried, bear-hugged my legs, and called for mama. She remained uphappy for some time. I was also bummed because that was a $9 tube.
Clara has had a few scary incidents lately:

1. at zoo, goose snaps at her hand
2. getting ready to leave uncle matt's house, a massive st bernard ambled to the door wanting to lick everybody. no leash, no owner in sight. Friendly. Clara not buying it.
3. tumbling head over heels down grandpa and grandma's stairs. i caught her three steps from the bottom.
We're starting gardening at a small scale this year due to the kids, so we only have a couple tomato plants, basil, and some growing black rasberry plants. I try to keep things growing, which is a challenge lately considering it's been murderously hot. We were 1 day away from picking our first tomato when I saw it laying on the ground half eaten. Squirrels! They are also knocking off the green ones. I now throw stuff at them.

I managed to squeeze in a bike ride last night from 9:30 to 10:30p. It was still hot. i enjoyed not really feeling how fast I was going -- just rode harder until I got the faintest sensation of pain. I'm no Cadel Evans.

I think that Janny can roll over now, but I've only observed the evidence without seeing the action.

2 comments:

epon said...

Try rubber snakes found in the toy sections for the squirrels, drape them near the tomatos.

Chad said...

Thanks, Paul! Will do.