Wednesday, February 17, 2010

books

Free time is a treasured event around here, but I have managed to dig some up. I read a couple books in the last few months, most recently 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel. The book has quite a lead-in; the story will make us believe in God. I already do, but would I be further encouraged?

Pi, the main character, describes his mish-mash of beliefs from the major religions. Then, we relive his 200+ day shipwreck adventure on the Pacific Ocean. Readers get to decide if his story is a parable or the truth. Either way, it's a downright scary tale of sorrow and suffering. I prefer to believe his story (the alternative involves more cannibalism than I can stomach). After all his suffering, he lives a relatively normal life.

Call me dense, but why you would believe in God after hearing this story?

Prior to 'Pi', I read 'The Crossing' by Cormac McCarthy. Jill hates these types of books. Lots of angst, introversion, and minimal relationships. My favorite exchange between the brothers:

B1: When did you start cussing so much?
B2: When I quit eating.

The writing is brilliant. And succinct. At the end, I felt depressed.

With Clara around, depression is short-lived.


Finally, I joined facebook this week. Wanna be my friend? I'm still figuring out how to arrange my digital life. I prefer the blog so that I can tell stories, short though they may be. But learning about the doings of people I haven't seen for 15 years has a mesmerizing, bizarre pull.

1 comment:

Tarik Saleh said...

I highly highly recommend most of McCarthy's Appalachian novels. Start with Suttree, and if you like that, Child of God, Orchard Keeper. They might not be your cup of tea. Of the western novels, Blood Meridian is probably my all time favorite book. Much better than the border trilogy, but those are good too. Again, maybe not your cup o tea. The spare dialog is a favorite of mine I thought no country for old men was a great book, but the movie pretty much nailed it, so watch that instead. the road was pretty much a script.

Also, awesome little girl you got there. hi to Jill.