Sunday, August 16, 2009

feeling the heat

The other local bike club in town put on its annual organized ride on Saturday. Since they had volunteered for the race that we put on, some of our guys decided to help. I was assigned the rest stop '65 mile', and since the longest ride was somewhere around 70 miles, I rode my bike to the start about 40 minutes before my shift. Oops, the rest stop was actually about 30 miles from the start, so I hitched a ride on the sag truck to the stop. Along the way, I doubt that we saw 20 riders. Granted, many riders started 2-3 hours before our journey, but I thought organized rides were really popular. What gives?

Bob, the sag driver, suggested that Kiehly and I take off since one person could easily handle the work. We recruited Alex, the sole remaining rider at the stop, to join us on ride back. He got terrible leg cramps; he nearly fell off his bike and couldn't stand up after sitting on the ground. Eventually, he got back on the bike and rode several more miles before calling a friend to pick him up. Kiehly told me about her company's attempts to build energy efficient houses. For 20% more $$, our shabby houses could have been nice. Alas.



After lunch today, Jill and I came across this unusual parked bike. It is not locked, but the saddle and seatpost are missing. Did the owner remove them to reduce the risk of theft? Did a very dull thief steal them rather than riding off with the whole thing? Maybe I'll check on it later.



A handful of people foretold that Jill would be so uncomfortable this summer from the heat/pregnancy double whammy. As it turns out, this has been one of your milder summers. Today was feeling rather warm until a big thunderstorm rolled through bringing some welcome cooler air.
But now it's hot again.

No comments: