Sunday, December 7, 2008

December heat wave

Some disparate thoughts after a warm December weekend.

Mountain biking was my introduction to recreational bicycle riding, but I don't ride trails too often any more. On Saturday, I decided to give some trails a go on my 'cross bike. I was 'just riding along' on a smooth path when WHACK, something solid hit my right pedal. Hmmm, that called for an investigation that revealed the binding mechanism smashed against the spindle. A few blows with a rock made it somewhat usable, so I kept riding and the trail became really rugged. Then I walked a lot over big rocks. Just when I was feeling some rhythm I hit an invisible sharpness that popped my slime filled front tube. Eventually, I reached pavement and pure bliss!

Friend Doug from Los Alamos just got back from a tour in Afghanistan, so a bunch of his friends ate dinner at Second Street Brewery in Santa Fe on Sat. His best story: most meals are same old MREs, so his buddies and the Italians swapped MREs. Doug finished his meal and ate the included bad tasting dinner mint. An english speaking Italian said that was the fuel pellet. Doctor told Doug he'd be fine in two days.

Continuing the topic, I found that emptying and cleaning the barf bucket isn't so awful. Not that I want to do it often. This observation and the fact that Jill is not prominantly mentioned in this post are related.

Great quote by the sage George Eliot in Brother Jacob, "... the world is so inconveniently constituted that the vague consciousness of being a fine fellow is no guarantee of success in any line of business." Being a fine fellow in pursuit of a job, I could not agree more.

Finally, one more shot from the Ruidoso trip, this time at the Museum of the Old West. As per museum rules, no stage coach was touched in this re-enactment.

1 comment:

Jessielynn said...

Doug gets here in 2 hours (hopefully), and I'm looking forward to the fuel pellet story in person... =)