Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter!

We celebrated by having lunch at our house with a bunch of friends.  Thanks to Nancy and John for cooking up the yummy ham.

We're just about ready to start enjoying the warm weather.  Janny was knocked out by a cold early in the week.  Then Clara got it.  She spent most of the day Friday sitting on the couch staring out the window.  On Saturday, I really knew how she felt.  After sleeping for 10 hours at night, I took a 2 hour morning nap, 2 hour afternoon nap, and an hour evening nap.  Is part of getting older that colds/flus get worse?  Thankfully, I'm feeling much better today.
Last weekend before the big snowstorm, we were working on our garden.  In addition to removing  several big roots (we're hoping for a big yield this year!), I unearthed a big pinkish rock.  The internet told me that it's likely rose quartz.  No big money gained from the discovery (I was thinking giant pink diamond!), but supposedly there's some metaphysical healing bonus.  Alas, we could have used some physical-physical healing this week.

One of the perks for accepting a job at Wolfram (have I mentioned the other ones?  Free tea and hot chocolate, a discount card to some local businesses, a 6th floor window office (okay, cube) with a view of Assembly Hall, a mug) is that one gets a copy of A New Kind of Science by Dr. Wolfram.  Instead of using it as my monitor height adjuster, I decided to take it home and read it a little.  The big hypothesis of the book is that the universe is governed by a set of simple computational rules.  This idea is quite challenging to my engineering trained mind.  We like to have our equations and simplifications/approximations.  With Wolfram's rules, there is no shortcut to finding the solution.  One must compute the solution obtained by following the rules.  Is he right?  Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

I'm still enjoying the job.  This week I started my officially assigned topic of image processing.  When I start to get a handle on it, I'll show some really cool stuff.  For now, charcoal!


1 comment:

Agung Imamudin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.