Monday, February 13, 2012

Park City snow

I took no photos from my ski day at Park City Mountain, as I was alone for most of the day.  PCM added some trail names to runs in Jupiter.  My favorite spot is now called War Zone.  I sent an email suggesting an alternate name.  How about Overhang?  

I continue to look forward to the day when my nieces can ski the steeps with me.  I heard that they improved this week.

Jill and I snowshoed somewhere between Kamas and Mirror Lake.  For about half way up, we trudged along a well packed trail.  This was much appreciated because the snow was deep and I am far removed from high altitude acclimation.  The place was super crowded as we saw 4 other people during our 3 hour  walk.

 The local moose watering hole?
 We got to a local high point. Not the tallest peak around, but it felt like an accomplishment.

We visited the Park City museum on Friday.  I talked a while with Karl, one of the last living silver miners in the area (fun facts:  the 'rich' silver ore was 1.25% silver, or 25 lbs of silver for every ton of rock.  Dynamite was set off every 8 hours to break up the rock.  George Hearst, father of William Randolph, owned one of the mines.)  Karl has amazing hearing considering he was close to the explosives and also served as a spotter for a mortar group in Japan during WWII.

A final fun fact about PCM is that for a short time, mining cars took skiers up the hill through an underground  tunnel in Thaynes canyon.  At the top of the canyon, an elevator took them 1800' to the surface.  The ground level equipment is still there next to the Thaynes chairlift (final fun fact:  Thaynes has been a favorite run of mine, but I didn't get around to skiing it this time.  I almost feel bad, but Jupiter is so much nicer).

2 comments:

Tarik Saleh said...

Excellent fact filled adventure. You guys look great (i.e. The same possiblyyounger) how do you manage with two kids? Aida has left me a shell of the young man I once was. Elena on the other hand looks great. Maybe the lack of altitude? Superabundant O2?

I suggest "toddler cage match" for the runs new name. To whom do I send my email?

Chad said...

Thanks, Tarik. Can't say for sure why we look okay. We certainly have our moments with the girls. The vacation with family that helped play with/take care of the kids was great.

Since I don't care for your suggested name, I won't tell you the email :) I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm sure it takes some time to make the plaque acknowledging my contribution.