Saturday, October 3, 2009

pre-baby life crisis leads to.... new bike

This news isn't hot off the presses, but as newspapers are learning, timeliness is less important than contentiness.

There I was, 33 years old, still a kid at heart, with my first child coming any time. What did this 33 year old like to do? Ride his bike(s). His bikes were made of steel (one classic, one modern) and aluminum. What was missing that he had never tried? Carbon fiber. He knew that happiness would not depend on trying one, but he really wanted to try one.

Wait, those bikes are expensive, you say. Indeed. So I scoured the used market. There it was, but ooof, it was ugly! I bought it. Buying used from out of town is an interesting experience. I never met the guy I bought it from, but we corresponded quite a bit (he went to Northsouthwesterly (or somesuch directionality) U, in Chicago and now lives in San Diego. His kids are grown. He bought a custom steel bike to replace this one). Then one has to wait and wait for the brown truck to arrive. Clara arrived before the red bike did.
I took the parts of the aluminum bike to put this together, so it's a little strange (MTB rear derailer, MTB pedals, ugly chainring). Here's your brief review from a slightly out of shape, slightly haggard papa. Handling is quick! It feels maybe as stiff while pedaling as the classic steel and less than the modern steel, so I'd call it lively. I've ridden in the rain 3 times and gotten wet. It's less ugly in person than in photos. I like it!

* * * * * * * * * * *

Now the more popular news. Clara is beautiful and sweet. She's sleeping on her new bouncy chair right now.
I like Saturdays now more than ever.

No comments: