Sunday, June 7, 2009

So close to being good

26 weeks in, the biggest surprise of pregnancy is how long it lasts. We've been expecting a long time! Fully half of the term was spent in New Mexico -- doesn't it seem like we've been in IL for a while now? We still have more than 1/3 of the way remaining, a whole season (summer) to go. Thankfully, one milestone appears to be approaching. This week we saw and heard (congrats Cody and Erika!) about people not as far along as us.

On the other hand, the waiting allows us to think on our undertaking. Since both of us had quite pleasant childhoods, we don't need to overhaul the child rearing playbook, but we do have a wrinkle for our kid.

Both Jill and I had much success in school without really pushing ourselves. The lesson learned from this experience is this: you're smart, so you'll be fine. While this can be true, it's not a good path to follow for the rest of life. Our lesson for Clara is to work hard and find joy in the process, whatever the result. Actually, I already feel sorry for her because I don't want to learn this lesson, but maybe we can learn it together.

These thoughts came to me after thinking about Saturday's group bike ride. I fancy myself a fast rider, and this feeling is reinforced when riding either by myself or with slower riders than me. But as the Sadorus town limit sign approached during our big sprint, I was not gaining on Mark at all and Jonathan was blowing by the both of us (aside, huge props to Luke for the massively long and fast lead out). I was riding as hard as I could without gaining an inch. My gut reaction is, dang I stink. Upon reflection, I found my absolute limit and now I want to push that limit further out.



Not all of life needs to be a struggle. On Sat afternoon we took a nice canoe ride on Crystal Lake. Wildlife sightings were excellent: 1 small turtle, one large (turkey size) turtle, lots of geese with goslings in tow, lots of fish (up to 8"), and cardinals (strikingly red against the green scenery).



Finally, today I joined the TCBC softball team at Jill's prodding. She wants to meet more people from church in the stands, while I furiously swing for the downs with the guys. Good arrangement, I say.

p.s. The title is a quote from the golf tourney on tv today describing a bad shot. Brilliant phrase!

No comments: