Friday, February 20, 2009

fun with veggies

Inspired by some testimonials on the web and in possession of sufficient time, I decided to make a large, multi-ingredient salad for lunch this week. I bought green leaf lettuce, broccoli, snow peas, carrots, radishes, cucumber, green pepper, and an avocado (not ripe, used later). To this, we added toasted almonds, cheddar cheese, and an oil/vinegar dressing, making a 10 ingredient salad. Impressive, I think, but upon further review I could have added tomatoes, celery, and alphafa sprouts.
Eating such a salad (easily the largest of my life) was quite educational. First, it took at least 30 minutes to eat it all because of (1) the large volume of food and (2) the raw veggies that required much chewing. Second, I wouldn't have gotten through it without the cheese and nuts; they added texture and saltiness.

Here's the most unusual item from Los Poblanos this week. We put some of it in a pasta dish. Three cheers to those that know what it is (even I have forgotten what it is called).

Happy, fun, and healthy eating to all.

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

yum, that salad looks delish!

what is that other thing? i've never seen such a thing!

Tarik Saleh said...

It is a fractal vegetable. Delicously fractaly. Romensco or que or some such is the official name. I almost fell over the first time I saw one, in 1995 in the vegetable aisle at the spectacularly overpriced andronicos market at Derby and Shattuck in Berkeley the week I moved there. August I think.

Jessielynn said...

I agree that it smacks of fractals and fibonacci sequences. This math teacher thinks it's a beauty!

Katie L said...

I think its fractal cauliflower. And I'm not the first to think so... wow, you have nerdy friends!