Sunday, November 9, 2008

to the Crest

Our buddy Ryan got a new, this-blog-approved bike last week and wanted to test out its handling. What better place to do so than the Crest's 14 miles of hairpins and slopes?

We left our house at 9:45 am with 45 degree temps expecting a high of 60. Very pleasant, except when screaming down the 10500 ft high Crest through the shadowy canyon. That was ouchy cold. At the bottom of the descent, we ate lunch at the Lazy Lizard. Either they don't believe in indoor heating, or we were still frozen from the descent. Thankfully their calzones were hot and yummy.

Ryan's new bike is a prototype from Boulder Bicycle painted baby blue. It has very low trail and very thin gauge steel tubing. Lovely! I rode my big boy blue bike and stuffed my windbreaker, scarf, wool cap, coke, and snickers dark in my jersey pockets. Jill was on her red bike with a rear bag to carry her warm clothes. All 3 bikes were made in the USA -- what are the odds of that?

Even though we've only bought one bike this year (the Ute), don't think that we're not experimenting with new bike technology, like this super light, compact bike:
Riding this bike put much strain on my shoulders, so I don't plan to borrow it for a long ride. Also, the rear hub made a funny noise when I rode it, but not when Jill rode it. Perhaps, I'm too heavy?

Friends and their babies are joining the bike craze. This happy mommy and baby met Jill for lunch last week when the temp was 40. It's never too early to toughen up the next generation -- might come in handy some day.

No comments: