Sunday, November 16, 2008

a simple goal

It seems that now is not the best time to be out looking for work, but that's what the bbb clan is up to right now. We've thrown the resumes around here and there and received a few nibbles. But we have no promises at the moment. My job goes through mid-Jan and then...???

To counter this uncertainty, we have made a certain objective: we plan to stay in Abq! I find it calming to have at least one fixed target to combat the lost feeling that 2 overeducated, underexperienced (well, maybe this only describes me) pseudo-professionals feel in a wide open job search.

This situation feels ironic to me because a major reason I stayed in school just short of forever was to ensure that people would beg me to work for them. Alas, I apparently studied the wrong topic. I got into groundwater contamination just as the EPA superfund program was running out of money. As an aside to future grad students: don't enter a field just as it's peaking or has peaked. Also, if you want to get rich, never enter a field whose goal it is to 'clean things up'. Once things are cleaned, you're out of work.

As it is, our goal is not to become rich, but to stay in Abq. Take that, THE MAN!


It was a beautiful weekend here. We loaded up our recycling on the Ute and dropped it off before joining the Polkadots for lunch. The black bean chicken pizza (#2) at Scarpa's is yummy!

2 comments:

Edie Guess said...

yummy Pizza!!! looking forward tot he dance party!

Tarik Saleh said...

There is always Los Alamos! You can be my post-doc if you want.

Good luck in the job hunt. Take it to the MAN!