Tuesday, September 23, 2008

the happy birthday headset

Sunday was my birthday. In fact, it was a special birthday because I was actually born on a Sunday. Fun quiz: how many times has my birthday been on Sunday (I'm now 33)?

Despite our somewhat nomadic lifestyle, we have managed to make some really great friends here in Abq. All these folks came to our apartment for my party. We ate chicken enchiladas made by Jill, Silva (more about her later), and me. Yummy! My cake was German chocolate, a personal tradition.
Numerous (at least 4) people have asked what I got for my birthday. 'A headset for my bike', I said. All asked, 'what's that?'. Well, if you count yourself with that lot, this nugget of knowledge is for you. A headset connects the fork to the frame and allows the fork to turn (that way you don't have to ride in a straight line forever). Here's what it looks like right out of the box. The blue rings are sealed bearings.

This is what the old headset looked like. It's the original that came with the bike in 1982.

1 1/2 hours later, here's what the HBH looked like on the bike. Shiny!






5 comments:

Jessielynn said...

Happy Birthday, Chad!
What kind of fruit are you eating in the picture with Kyle and Chrissy and Ina?

Tarik Saleh said...

Say buddy,

Happy birthday! And nice headset. Looks pretty great.

Hope there was some red meat in the german chocalet cake as meat cake is the new chicken.

Chad said...

You've got quite the keen eye, Jessie.

A vine that produces this fruit grows alongside many rural roads and arroyos in NM. I wondered if some Johnny Watermelonseed traveled the state planting these things.

On my b-day, we decided to learn what it is, so we walked to our local arroyo and picked a few fruits. Upon cutting one open, we concluded that it is a type of gourd. It smells much like a pumpkin. Sadly, no one took a bite.

I still don't know how/why there are so many around.

Tarik Saleh said...

Hey those fruit look like hybrid cucumber melons.:
http://blog.holyscraphotsprings.com/2008/08/cucumber-melons.html

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated-Birthday Chad!

May your hemoglobin-solvent Fe molecules be many!