Sunday, May 11, 2008

Burger Boy ride

The sun was shining, the temps were perfect, the wind was blowing, and we had some free time on Saturday. The east mountains were calling our name, and we were on our way. Not wanting to completely wear ourselves out, we decided that our destination for the day would be Burger Boy, grillers of the best green chile cheeseburger in the area. But that wasn't quite enough climbing for me, so I convinced Jill to ride up Sangre de Cristo Rd to the top of a small ridge on the east side of 14. The bottom part of the road is excessively steep, then it flattens out, before a few more steep parts near the top. Below, Jill climbs near the top.


On Woodbridge Rd, I wanted to knock on someone's door to ask if we could take a picture from their backyard. From the road, we could see that there was a great view to the south across a small valley. But I chickened out, so no pics for you. Instead, here's a picture of the road and my back. Sorry about that.


On the way down, I was coasting along at about 25 mph when I hit a wall of wind, easily the strongest wind I've ever felt. My speed plus the wind speed in the opposite direction was too scary for me. I slowed dramatically to make sure that Jill was okay also. She was, but an older woman in a black pointy hat and gown on a bike was blowing away with the wind.

While waiting inside BB for the GCCB, I said to Jill, 'That guy looks a lot like John from church,' but I decided it wasn't. Then, Oliver from church joined him. It was John. Those two, along with one of John's coworkers, Andrew, had been rock climbing in the area. Despite their sore forearms, they had no troubles with the burgers. Andrew was even able to hold and eat the DMGCCB (double meat). A good time was had by all.
On our way home, we stopped by Oliver's house and got the tour. You can take a virtual tour here. Very nice!

Happy Mothers' Day!

No comments: