Monday, November 11, 2013

whither October

Tonight Janny told me, "Thank you, Daddy.  You're a nice boy."  Clara later added, "I like the way you talk."  Feeling pumped up, I can finally report on recent events.

My primary excuse for not reporting lately is Jill's lifestyle change.  She wakes up at an unreasonable hour every weekday for her exercise classes.  To make this happen, she's in bed every night around 9p.  So instead of rarely doing dishes, I do some.  I also clean a little.  Is that a good enough excuse?

Some time ago now, my parents visited us as part of [one of MANY] long trips this year.  I'm pleased to recall that my mom left uninjured (though no bicycle riding took place).
 Clara and Janny take about 1 or 2 baths per week.  They play for about 15 minutes and then scream like maniacs when it's time to wash hair.  It seems that Clara is getting near acceptance.  This would be a big relief.

 Before going to bed last night, Jill checked in on the girls to find that Janny's bed was empty.  Over the weekend, we thought she was in bed until Fereshteh came home to (and the details are unclear here) Janny crashing from the couch to the floor.  Much screaming ensued.  But back to the newer story, we looked through a few rooms before finding Janny sleeping behind the couch in the front room.  I picked her up and returned her to bed without waking her.  Sound sleeper!  Also, a sneaky little girl!
For Halloween, Honest Abe and Rosy the riveter stopped by for a chat.  Nice to learn a little history on Halloween!  Clara's chicken costume was from a nearby garage sale.  Janny was the 'the crane' alien.  The neighbors also stopped by to show off their candy stash.
 Another bright red explosion by the front tree this year.  I've moved about 15 bags of leaves to my leaf/compost pile.  The girls picked up a few leaves.
 Jill took care of the pumpkin carving project this year.  Clara first wanted an angry pumpkin, but later changed her mind.  Now her pumpkin is two-faced.
 The kids are very excited about working on "projects" lately.  The most popular project is to tape knick-knacks together with masking tape (sticks, paper, small plastic toys, bags).  We were a bit surprised that masking tape costs nearly $5 per roll, but the cost per hour is quite low.  Another project is to make either an obstacle course or a balance beam.  Either versions requires dragging ALL of the pillows, cushions, and blankets into the front room and scattering them on the floor.   Cleaning up is not a project.
I did a sort-of gravel road race near Kickapoo with the Wild Card gang the previous weekend.  I got dropped from the lead group of 3 about 18 miles in.  I couldn't recover from the last hill, so the tail-wind assisted surges wiped me out.  The course was fabulous with nearly 60 miles of almost continuous unpaved/roughly paved roads.  

Finally, there is another scary, abandoned rail bridge not too far away.  100' tall, no railing.  Who is up for adventure?

No comments: