Sunday, September 16, 2012

scary bridge

With a little help from google maps, I headed out (needless to say via bicycle) to a local bridge that I'd never seen before.  As I suspected, it is quite not maintained.  But surprisingly, there were no barricades on either side and no warning signs.  As a civil engineer who knows nothing about structures, I decided it would probably not collapse if I walked across.  Several planks were missing and there is no guard rail.  I was pleasantly frightened by the height of the bridge, maybe 20 feet to the stream below.
Riding across was out of the question, as I'm no Danny Macaskill.  I rode the race bike out there, so I had my fancy bike shoes.  I won't do that again.  I also have no plans to take the girls here ever.
Recent rains have decreased our drought severity to moderate (from extreme!), but the corn still remembers the hot, dry summer.  Many corn fields around here look bleak, though the soy beans seem to have done better.
Janny has been a little sick this week.  Except for a fever, she hasn't had many symptoms other than crying-all-the-time-isitis.  Somehow she mustered the strength to ham it up for the camera.




No comments: