Sunday, July 8, 2012

anniversary

Today is our 12th anniversary.  Smartly, we married in summer 2000 so that counting the years would be easy, even for big numbers like 12.
I'm about ready to go to bed, so my dozen year review won't be as extensive as you deserve, but here goes.

We've lived in 7 different homes in 4 cities in 2 states.  We've owned 3 different houses.

Of additional geographical interest, we met (Landmark apts), had our first date (Courier Cafe), got engaged (Crystal Lake park), and gave birth to both girls (Carle hospital) all within about a 1/2 mile radius in Urbana.

We've owned 2 cars, one of which we still own, and the other was Jill's prior to marriage which was sold a few months later.  I can't count the number of bikes we've had, but the current number is 8.

We've been to Mexico and Canada twice each and to both U.S. coasts.  We've never left the continent together (I never have, except for a trip to Hawaii.  Jill traveled much more than me before marriage).

We've had one somewhat major health procedure and 2 births.  Thankfully, we've been quite healthy so far.

We've been to 4 funerals.  2 for grandparents and two for friends.  The loss of friends still hurts.

Among our favorite adventures were weekends spent riding from Los Alamos to Taos and back.  The 9/80 work week at the national labs made for excellent weekend adventures.

We got 3 advanced degrees.  I still use mine.  Jill is on hiatus to raise the kids.

We've had ambition to learn instruments (me guitar, Jill piano), but since Janny has been around, motivation and energy have been decidedly lacking.

It's hard to say how we've changed over that time.  I have a little more patience, and I care about other people more (if you're not impressed, you should have known me then).  Jill is more teachable.  Probably having kids has made the biggest changes in us.

I won't attempt to predict the future, but I do hope that we get to settle down somewhere (here would be just fine).  We plan to love each other and enjoy life together wherever we end up and through whatever comes our way.

Chad ♥ Jill

No comments: