Friday, May 13, 2011

707 cafe

Wouldn’t you know that the one night I plan to blog the system is down. Not to be denied, I am writing this up in word with the hopes of posting soon.

Jill has been full of fun ideas, perhaps due to a lack of sleep? She’s been inviting friends to come over for 707 Café, our home's cafe that is open a few hours per week. She invites friends to drink tea, eat desserts, and discuss children (or not).


The IL marathon came to town, so we walked down to mile 7 to cheer on some friends. Friends looked good at the ~ half-way point. No, we’re not interested in joining them.
I made a red brick path!
I hope you recall that our church softball team won the B league championship tournament last year. We are 3 games into our first A league season. One win, two losses. Here’s what I love about softball this year. Sometimes I hit the ball really well and make outs, and sometimes I pop up and get hits. Fun unpredictability. Did I mention that I have hit 2 home runs? I have, but I must thank the very favorable wind in each case.

We hosted a bike tourist on Wed night. Don retired in the fall, and decided to ride a bike from San Diego to his home in Dunkirk, NY. I really like his plan for the trip. He makes contact with people through warmshowers.com, the rotary club, and people he meets along the way. I imagine that riding alone all day and then camping alone at night would drive a brother nuts. This way, the former professor gets to share stories every night with someone different.

I learned a good lesson from him: when planning to meet someone in new to a city, don’t suggest a cafe that has more than one location. I suggested we meet at Espresso Royale on Goodwin. Near the corner of Pennsylvania and Lincoln, he asked several students how to get there. The first several had no idea. What? It's a 5 minute walk from there! It's the only cafe on the east side of campus! Finally, someone directed him to the undergrad library. Eventually, I did find him.

No comments: