Saturday, January 9, 2010

big snow, can ride

For my first 22 years, snow was a vacation event only. Since departing the Pacific coast, snow sometimes lands on my house, as 8" of the fluffy whiteness did this week.

While we were away, friends Rich and Nina shoveled our driveway and made a snowman family for us. This time, Jill flexed her strengthened-by-baby-carrying muscles and shoveled the whole thing herself.
We've seen lots of sunshine lately which warms the spirit despite temps rarely reaching 15 degrees. Bundled up between my coat and Jill's warm body, Clara doesn't mind the cold but does miss the sunshine.
Santa wasn't sure what to get me this year, so he let me order some toys for riding in the cold. These include studded tires (though the front wheel/tire in the photo was from Moscaline a couple years ago), ski helmet, goggles, and a couple items to be highlighted soon. Not the coolest look, but I'm warm and happy and not crashing.
I initially set up the Bianchi as a single speed with a 42-16 gear ratio, which gives the correct chainlength for the vertical dropout frame. After struggling through the snow, I changed to a 34 tooth chainring and added a rear derailer as a chain tensioner. Much better!

No comments: