Wednesday, January 28, 2009

observations from home

Tomorrow will mark the 3rd week of my unemployment, so it seems that now is good time to put down some thoughts about this experience.

First, I don't miss my old job. At all. This has been surprising to me because though I didn't care for it much, I certainly didn't hate it. The biggest issue for me was having zero coworkers in the traditional sense, which I take to mean people that work together. I can and do miss people, but I don't miss doing tasks in my old office.

Second, financially this report is a bit early. Due to the week delay between work done and paycheck as well as the some saved vacation time, I have more money right now than had I worked the last 3 weeks. But this state ends very soon. And I haven't had to pay for health insurance yet.

Third, I've been pretty busy. I have had one interview and will have another on Friday. Preparations for these interviews takes some time, especially for Friday's as I need to give a 30 minute presentation. Other tasks have been writing cover letters, filling out applications, and reviewing a paper for a journal. I had Staples print out the paper for me since we don't have a printer. The Staples employees said the paper looked boring and very long. Does my career field lack excitement? I found the paper to be moderately exciting but will recommend a couple significant changes. Look for it soon in Water Resources Research.

Fourth, I have taken up much more of the household chores. While working, I did dishes maybe once a week and only sometimes helped cook dinner. Now, I do most of the dishes and help with cooking most meals. By the way, another nice feature of living in a small apartment is the small number of chores to do.

I made ice cream. Maybe I used too much cream and too little milk, because it was very creamy and not so frozen.
Still, we enjoyed eating it.


Fifth, I have been doing more bicycling, but not as much as I would have expected. With temps in the 50s for the whole month of Jan, the riding weather has been fantastic. But I was sick much of last week. Still, I haven't done a ride longer than 1 1/2 hours yet.

Finally, I'm in a new-to-me-and-not-my-favorite mental state. During working life, I spent most of my time living my life -- doing my job and living my family life. Now, I spend a good deal of time imagining our lives with each prospective job/location. So my mind is several months in the future while my body remains in the present.

No comments: