Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bandelier day trip

This week the Polkadot family invited me to go along with them to Bandelier, an old stomping ground of mine. I always love exploring the cliff dwellings with people who haven't seen them yet.
A couple of things I've learned visiting Bandelier:
1. These settlements were built by the ancient Pueblo Peoples. Their descendants still live in pueblos around New Mexico. They prefer that we don't call their ancestors "Anasazi," since Anasazi is a Navajo word meaning "ancient enemies."
2. The buildings and access trails at Bandelier were built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. One of the requirements for joining the Bandelier work team was that the applicant posses at least three natural teeth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of bicycling from Santa Fe to Bandelier with my kids. Did you bicycle to get there? My wife and I have bicycled north to Abiquiu, but I've never headed the other way to Bandelier. Years ago, when my daugher was 4, she bicycled to Holy Ghost Campground from Santa Fe on the back of a tandem. She's nine and on her own bicycle now, but it requires a lot more patience on my part to tour with her. On the other hand, she and her brother were getting mighty heavy to haul around on the triple.

I see you're reading the SJC reading list. Are you a student? We're a Johnny family, having both gone through the undergrad and EC program. My wife is the circulation librarian up there now.

It's nice to run across your blog. We're over at carfreefamily.blogspot.com.