Monday, March 10, 2008

Aint no reason

I have no musical talent and don't listen to music terribly often. I have had some friends that feel moved by various songs or musicians, but I have a hard time relating. The emotional, sensory brain just hasn't developed with the analytic part.

However, recently I was struck while listening to a song by Brett Dennen called 'Aint no reason'. I assumed that the singer was a woman because the singing is reminiscent of Tracy Chapman. Surprise, Brett is a red headed man!

The music sounds disjointed, and the lyrics are sung/wispered in a choppy manner, but they mesh well. It's feel is very sombre, but the lyrics are hopeful, longing for a better world.

Finally, Mr. Dennen is a true hippy. Free love and dope can stay in the past, but I can stand up for the notion that freedom comes not from our bombs and bullets but from love. You might not like him if you're a rightwingneoconfascistrepuliconeoliberalcorporatelovingdemocrat. But you're still alright with me.

Peace and love to all the sisters and brothers.

1 comment:

Mr. J said...

I Love me the Brett Dennen. I've bought a couple others on Itunes - Blessed and Make the Most. Both are great!