Saturday, August 11, 2007

Silly conservation actions by yo

This is not to say that the world is going to end tomorrow or that I have solutions to all environmental issues (though I am a doctor :). Here are a few things that I'm doing, mostly for fun, that might result in less energy waste/consumption/ etc. etc. Feel free to pass along any other swell ideas you come up with.

1. This has been mentioned on the blog before, but here goes again. I collect the rainwater from our roof in large trash cans so that I can use it later to water our yard. We live in a desert. I hear that the midwest is pretty dry this year.

2. I've almost completely given up using either paper towels or hand dryers after washing my hands in public washrooms (that's a Canadian phrase, eh?). We live in a desert, so my hands dry quickly. Also, I don't have coworkers in the traditional sense (this, I think, would be people that an employee interacts with multiple times in a given day. Perhaps I'll write a post about my job experiences to date that will explain my ignorance on the topic).

3. Our bikes, not car, are parked in the garage. When I leave the garage, and sometimes when I enter it, I allow the garage door to open between 1/2 and 2/3 of the fully open position. Then, when the door closes, it has less distance to travel as well. This requires some ducking to exit/enter, but no troubles so far.

Looking forward to a bright future,

No comments: