Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Race #2: Belen


Race number 2 for the year was Saturday in the ruralish town of Belen (emphasis on the 'en'), about 40 miles south of Albuquerque. The 45 mile course was mostly flat with a few rollers here and there -- very good for a large (170lb) man such as myself -- or so I thought ... Small bunch spring finish in the end -- I felt okay, getting right behind guys surging to the front. Then there was only Luke the Los Alamosian (orange jersey two riders behind me) to pass, but he had enough speed to beat me by about a wheel length. Good job by him. Luke weighs 130 lbs-- how does he sprint so fast? For the sake of my pride -- this is my story after all -- let it be known that I beat him up the Thursday hill climbs on a number of occasions last summer.

During the race, I was really trying to help my friend Chris (blue jersey right behind me (the man in the yellow hat)). Partly because he's a really good climber and partly because on a reaper ride a few weeks ago, he went to my office to get my badge that I accidentally left behind. That kept me from getting a frowny sticker on my record.

I must warn you, my fans, that this will likely be my best finish for the near future. I will be moving up a category for the next race, and it's a hill climb.



Nothing eases the sting of a close loss like a green chile cheeseburger, rasberry phosphate, and chocolate malt with wife and mom-in-law (taking the photo). Note the cyclist in the background who was playing some groovy music on a boombox while riding on the wrong side of the road. Sweet, ABQ!

I might even post more often now that I've gotten started.

2 comments:

Tarik Saleh said...

Sheesh. About time they forced your sandbagging ass to cat up... 170lbs? Sheesh again. You are actually tiny.


Well done! keep blogging.

Mr. J said...

Chad,
Nice post. I think that guy on the boom-bike was my neighbor when I spent two years in the student ghetto behind the Frontier! You just gotta love ABQ!

We missed you at the pig feast.