Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cabbage with Caraway

I like lots of cookbooks, but if I'm ever marooned on a desert island (with plenty of high quality ingredients), I'll want to have this one with me. Not that anyone would actually carry it along on any kind of a trip. It's five pounds of recipes and no pictures. But despite small print and pretentious name, a lot of the recipes are simple. And anything that Los Poblanos throws into my box is bound to have several listings in the index. Here's something delicious we did with cabbage the other day:

  • 2 T butter
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 2 onions, chopped (I left them out and cut down oil)
  • 1 T caraway seeds (this is the magic ingredient)
  • 1 small head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 2 t lemon juice
Melt butter with oil in skillet over med-low heat. Cook onions until soft. Add everything else except lemon juice. Cook until cabbage is crisp-tender (5-7 min). Sprinkle with lemon juice.

from: Reichl, Ruth, ed. The Gourmet Cookbook. NY: Houghton Mifflin, 2004.

Leyla -- I think I may have first discovered this cookbook at the Urbana Library.

2 comments:

Leyla said...

Could you give me the complete title and the author - I could not quite tell from the picture. I've been looking for simple recipes.
I love the picture.

Bev's Blog said...

My wife and I have probably a hundred cookbooks, but if we had a gun to our head and were told to keep just one, this would be it. Classic, simple recipes that taste great... a winner!